Friday, September 21, 2012

The Outsiders

Well, it's the beginning of the school year, and it's the first time in four years that I'm not teaching The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I'm feeling a little nostalgic, so it seemed fitting that I write about this story that has been in my life off and on since I was 11 years old.



I first read, or heard this book in fifth grade. My fifth grade teacher held my classmates and I completely spellbound as she read us this story of friendship, fighting for honor, and the struggle to "stay gold". Some might say we were too young to hear such a violent story. However, I remember a few specific messages I took in from my fifth grade experience of this book. Well, first, I remember marveling at the unique names in this book - Ponyboy and Sodapop Curtis, Two-Bit Matthews, Cherry Valance...pure genius. I will always remember how my teacher talked about the beginning of the story when the author (Ponyboy - because he ostensibly wrote this for his high school English class) describes himself in a more roundabout way than simply saying "This is me, this is what I look like, etc." He instead compares himself to Paul Newman, and catches the audience's attention in a more unique way. I also remember being completely devastated when Johnny died. It seemed so unfair that someone who cared so much - too much - was in worse shape because of it. Finally, I remember being so shocked that a 16-year old girl wrote this book. My fifth grade teacher argued that the characters were so well-developed that it had to be the work of a woman!

Later, early in my high school years, I re-read The Outsiders and I started slowly seeing more of the bigger picture behind this book. I kept thinking about what Randy said to Ponyboy before the big rumble between the Greasers and the Socs, "You can't win, even if you whip us. You'll still be where you were before - at the bottom". The Greasers constantly have an uphill battle to fight, and yet even right before his death, Johnny is hopeful. He tells Ponyboy to "stay gold" and to not succumb to the personality that the Greasers seem to feel they have to take on. For Dally, it's too late, and he ends up letting his anger destroy the best parts of him. Likewise, the Socs have a personality to live up to as well. Cherry Valance (sadly the only strong female character in this book) remains an individual despite the peer pressure. She manages to "dig sunsets" and realize that "things are rough all over". I started realizing that this book is really about choosing what kind of person you want to be in life. 

Teaching The Outsiders to 8th graders has been a completely different experience than reading it of course. I always made sure to get right into reading the first chapter out loud, so my students could see that this book was going to be exciting. In the very first part, Ponyboy gets jumped by the Socs, so that was always enough to get the students hooked. I found that in general, the girls loved the characters in this book, and the boys loved the fights. There was something for everyone. I had the most amazing class discussions with this book. We had endless debates about whether or not Johnny should have killed Bob, we dissected the true meaning of "Stay Gold, Ponyboy. Stay Gold", we compared the Socs and the Greasers to gangs around the world, talked about what it really means to be the type of person who notices sunsets, and what it means to be a hero. Knowing that Ponyboy is 14, and had experienced so much, always blew my14-year old 8th graders away. It never fails to amaze me that this book, written in 1967, set in Oklahoma, still manages to capture the minds and hearts of modern day urban teenagers. This story truly is timeless. People are constantly on different sides of issues and groups, and the stories of love and loss are so easy to relate to. 

When I sat down to re-read this book, cover to cover, I realized that I hadn't actually read the book straight through in years, although I basically know it by heart. I was awestruck again by how this book ends just as it begins, with Ponyboy sitting down to write his story. This book, although technically kid/young adult lit, tells universal truths. That's why it has stuck with me throughout all of these years. 

Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment